Friday, July 30, 2021

Paradise Lost

 

With a release date of August 1987, and being recorded by Guns n' Roses, the 453rd greatest song of all time, "Paradise City," falls well outside the boundary of songs I give one-half a rip about.

At least that's the first thing I felt like saying about this song. Then I went and did it...I actually listened to it.



And I must confess that I like the sound. Hooky, upbeat guitar riffs with vocals that are incoherent enough to stay out of the way of enjoying the sheer Rockosity of it all.

Then I went and did it...I read the words.

And now I'm back to not caring.

The really hurtful thing is that I can say nothing more sarcastic and funny about the song than what Rolling Stone already said:

For nearly seven minutes, they expound on the joys of green grass, pretty girls, and toxic chemicals. In a typically tasteful G n' R move, the video features footage of the band's 1988 gig at Castle Donington in the U.K. -- where two fans were crushed to death.

Tastefulness, empathy, and compassion. That's Paradise City right there.


No comments: