Friday, July 9, 2021

He's My Sweet, So Fine Lord - The 454th Greatest Songs of All Time

 

Okay...it's no new thing to point out that George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord" and The Chiffons' "He's So Fine" are for all intense porpoises melodically equal. The claim has even been held up in court, with the quiet ex-Beatle being found guilty of "subconscious plagiarism" and paying over 1.5 million dollars of his income from "Lord" to the corporation that owns the copyright for "He's So Fine", Bright Tunes.

Sounds more like a very bright lawyer to me.




It does bring several questions to mind, though:

  • If the two songs are so much alike, why isn't "He's So Fine" somewhere on the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time list, too?
  • If "My Sweet Lord" is such a great song, why do I hate it when it gets stuck on an endless loop in my head? (Which it has been ever since starting this post.)
  • If 1.5 million dollars is just a portion of George's proceeds from "My Sweet Lord" ... how much did he haul in for just this one song?!!? Hot farnsworth!
  • What song should I subconsciously plagiarize as part of my retirement plan?

 




No comments: