Friday, June 7, 2024

The Secret to a 45-Year Marriage

 

Beloved and I are two days away from our 45th wedding anniversary and I am at a loss for a significant-yet-affordable way to celebrate the milestone.

Last year, we vacationed in Hawaii. It was a trip we "won" in a fund-raising auction and the timing just kind of worked out for it to be anniversary-esque.


But NOW what?

The WorldWideWackfest tells me the traditional gift for a 45th anniversary is sapphire:

Some believe the deep blue color represents the deep love you share after all these years. The sapphire is also considered a stone of royalty which makes it the ideal gemstone to honor 45 years of marriage. In the same way that a sapphire shines, your 45 years of marriage stands as a gleaming example of longevity for others.

I'm not really sure what being "a stone of royalty" has to do with it...other than if you don't treat your wife like a queen you'll never make it to 45 years.

I'm not even all that sure Beloved shares a "deep love" for me. Maybe she just can't stand the thought of breaking in a new husband. It's not that she's devoted to me, she's just trying to be energy-efficient.

She's learned how to ignore my warped sense of humor and total lack of handyman skills...why let all that self-training she's done go to waste?

Better the devil you know, right?

*  *  *  *  *  *  *

Happy Anniversary, Beloved! Here's to several more years of being resignedly tolerant.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have a saying that I know what he’s worth, it’s not with the expense of divorcing him and he can’t afford to divorce me. We are stuck together. We have been married for almost 36 years.

Dewey said...

A deal's a deal!

Anonymous said...

I have a deep love for you and am totally devoted! 😍

Anonymous said...

Previous comment by your Beloved😉

Dewey said...

Whew! I sure am glad "Anonymous" clarified herself! <3 <3 <3