Friday, April 30, 2021

Sheena Is a WHAT?!?: The 457th Greatest Song of All Time

 

Having been a radio disc jockey from the late Seventies through the early Eighties, I've always considered myself fairly well-versed in the popular music of that era. ("Well-versed!" HA! I crack me up!) And then I start working my way through Rolling Stone's list of the 500 greatest songs of all time and find out how wrong my self-consideration is.




I had never heard the Ramones' "Sheena Is a Punk Rocker" until just now when I listened to it on YouTube (see video below). 

It was released in May 1977, so I was probably too busy seeing Star Wars in the theater (seven times!) to have noticed the song's feeble rise to Number 81 on the charts. And that's too bad, because it's a catchy little tune reminiscent of the Surf Sounds of the Sixties.

I have two questions, though:

     1. Why did wearing your guitar so low that it required physical contortions to play ever become a thing?

     2. Why write a whole song about a female hockey fan?

"Sheena is...a puck watcher! Sheena is...a puck watcher!"




No comments: