Friday, April 23, 2021

Observed Absurdities™ 49 - For Your Pseudo-Religious Playtime

 

Okay, you see this picture, right? Let me assure you that it has not been doctored or edited except for cropping off the edges. I personally pushed the button that captured this image and can attest to its authenticity.

Let's be clear: I am not almosting anything about what we're looking at right now.

One strange thing about this Mother of Jesus action figure is that I did not find it in a Christian bookstore. It was not hanging on a rack of church supplies or teaching aids.

"So where DID you see it, Dewey?" asks an astute-and-cherished reader.

I was at the Mall of America in a store that specializes in vintage toys and classic candies: Barrell of Monkeys, Mystery Date, Slow Poke, Kickapoo Joy Juice...that kind of stuph.

So of course, I'm immediately wondering just how old this Mary doll IS?!!?

And what kind of accessories are available?

  • Magnificat Megaphone
  • Not-Tonight-Joseph Aspirin
  • Palestinian Pregnancy Test

One more thing: Because it seems that the doll is not adjustable, I'm really curious why the manufacturer chose this particular pose. I mean, with that one-knee-forward and well-defined chestal area, I think she ought to have her hands on her hips and be slightly turned to one side, with her head tilted back in a devil-may-care laugh.






No comments: