Friday, July 31, 2020

Musical "Dear John" Letter


Do any of us ever actually pay attention to the words of the songs we sing?

"Sure we do," you say, and rightly so. There are certainly times when we sincerely mean what we sing:

  • "Happy birthday to you."
  • "I once was lost, but now I'm found."
  • "Who let the dogs out?"

But I'm thinking when we jump into a group KaraokeFest, we aren't really taking into consideration the sad, mournful meaning of Carole King's divorce ditty, "It's Too Late".

Maybe if we thought of it as a note found on a bedside table...instead of the 469th-greatest song of all time:



Gerry:

I stayed in bed all morning just to pass the time. There's no denying there's something wrong here. One of us is changing, or maybe we've both just stopped trying.

Baby, it's too late now, though we really did try to make it. I can't hide that something inside has died and I just can't fake it.

It used to be so easy living here with you. You were light and breezy; I knew just what to do. But now...now you look so unhappy, and I feel like a fool.

I hope there'll be good times again for me and you, but staying together just doesn't work anymore. Don't you feel it too? Still...I'm glad for what we had. I loved you once. It was good while it lasted.

But it's too late now, baby.

Carole


*  *  *  *  *  *  *

I have to admit that I don't know why she's still calling him "baby".

YIKES! Maybe it's not about a divorce at all! Maybe Ms. King is singing about abandoning her child!

(This rumor has been brought to you by almostthetruth.com.)


No comments: