Sam Cooke fiddled with the lyrics of the Herb Alpert/Lou Adler song, "Wonderful World," and created a huge hit.
He also admitted to being far from the sharpest pencil in the box:
Don't know much about history
Don't know much biology
Don't know much about a science book
Don't know much about the French I took
Don't know much about geography
Don't know much trigonometry
Don't know much about algebra
Don't know what a slide rule is for
I mean...instead of "Wonderful World," shouldn't it be titled "Imma Dunce"?
And having admitted all this ignorance, why would a young woman believe he has the insight and forethought to be able to say:
But I do know one and one is two
And if this one could be with you
What a wonderful world this would be
Then again, according to Rolling Stone, "Before it came out, Cooke liked to sing it for women he met, telling them he'd made it up on the spot just for them."
Maybe he's not as stupid as he's making himself out to be.


No comments:
Post a Comment