Friday, December 16, 2022

The Newly Holidayized Hits of the 1960s

 

The 1960s took us from bobbysoxers to hippies and the hit songs of the decade reflected that evolution. But one constant was the attempt to make a buck by selling Christmas records to the teeming masses.



Elf of the Road  -  A catchy tune about a workshop worker who walks away from the "man of means by no means" and hops a train to where "two hours of pushin' snow buys an 8 by 12 place to go."

Last Sleigh to Anchorage  -  "Take the last sleigh to Anchorage and I'll meet you at the igloo."

Son of a Drummer Man  -  Dusty Springfield celebrates the rum-pa-pum-pum that rocked a certain manger scene.

I Want to Pull Your Sleigh  - "Oh, Santa, say to me, for this Christmas day, Oh please, say to me, you'll let me pull your sleigh! I wanna pull your slay-ay-ayeeay. I wanna pull your sleigh."

I Got You Babe  -  Sonny & Cher sing a lullaby to the newborn king.

The Sound of Jingle Bells  -  "Hello Christmas Eve, my friend, I'm racing through you once again. Because I've got all of these gifts to buy. I wait till now, but I do not know why."

(I Can't Get No) Black Friday Deal  -  A bluesy lament of deep-but-rapidly-disappearing discounts.

Bethlehem Dreamin'  -  "All the trees are palms, and the midnight's clear. It's a silent night, but its full of cheer. There are angels singing 'bout good will to men. Bethlehem dreamin', about the way it was then.


No comments: