Friday, December 9, 2022

The Newly Holidayized Hits of the 1950s

 

The 1950s saw the birth of rock and roll and will never be able to unsee it. There were some great tunes, many of which deserve to be almosted into the holiday hits they shoulda-woulda-coulda been.



Sock Around the Clock  -  Before stockings started being hung by the chimney with care, they used to be arranged around a family's grandfather clock.

Reindeer  -  "You ain't nothin' but a reindeer, flyin' all the time..."

Why Do Elves Fall In Love?  -  A terribly racist musical question

I Only Have Coal For You  -  "There is nothing I've missed, You're for sure on the naughty list, I only have coal for you. I'm aware of your ways, and you've only been good for two days, so I only have coal for you, dear."

Red Suede Shoes  -  From the years before Santa started using more weather-appropriate footwear.

Cranberry Sauce Hill  -  "I found my thrill..."

Wake Up, Little Jesus  -  The Everly Brothers wreak havoc in a stable.

Traveling Wisemen Blues  -  "I hear those camels comin', They're following a star, They're askin' 'bout a baby, Tell me, why've they come so far?"

Crying In The Manger  -  "You saw me crying in the manger, Getting scratched by all that straw, I know the meaning of diaper rash, My skin is red and rough and raw"

Johnny B. Herod  -  "Deep in the land of Judah close to Jerusalem, Way back up near the desert with the drifting sand, There stood a fortress which the folks were mighty scared of, Where lived a royal boy by the name of Herod, Who never ever felt secure in his skin, So he killed off all the babies down in Bethlehem."


No comments: