Friday, May 20, 2022

Grumbling About the 440th Greatest Song

 

I'm usually pretty aware of what a curmudgeon I am and that my days of being on the cutting edge of popular culture are far behind me. Then I get smacked in the face with Stuph I Never Knew from 35 years ago.


A case in point is this descriptive paragraph about the 440th Greatest Song of All Time from the editors of Rolling Stone:

In 1985, Azor recruited fellow Sears employees Cheryl James and Sandy Denton, both from Queens, New York, for a music-school project. With the addition of Dee Dee "Spinderella" Roper, Salt-N-Pepa became the first female MCs to crack the pop Top Twenty when "Push It" was remixed by San Francisco DJ Cameron Paul.

School project. Addition of somebody named Spinderella. MCs being remixed.

Whatever happened to friends getting together in a garage and writing a song that makes it onto the radio and catches on and gets the band added to a tour of national recording artists with a gig on a network variety show when the song hits Number One and then breaking up when the record company makes demands?

Never mind.


No comments: