Friday, October 2, 2020

My Little Stowaway


Alright, flock, it is time for us to consider the 466th greatest song of all time. It was recorded by Del Shannon and featured a Musitron solo that has distinguished it from the mountainous pile of early-sixties rock-n-roll for 59 years.

As I walk along, I wonder
A-what went wrong with our love
A love that was so strong

And as I still walk on, I think of
The things we've done together
While our hearts were young

I'm a-walkin' in the rain
Tears are fallin' and I feel the pain
Wishin' you were here by me
To end this misery

I wonder
I wah-wah-wah-wah-wonder...

Sound familiar? (If not, you need to CLICK HERE and listen to "Runaway," the 1961 hit that spent a month at the top of the charts. You also need to confront your parents for their sub-standard expansion of your cultural horizons.)

The amazing and absolutely made-up thing about this song, though, is that it was a parody of an earlier song written and performed by a survivor of the sinking of the Titanic.

As I sail along, I wonder
A-what went wrong with his ticket
A ticket he won on shore

And now as this ship sinks, I think of
How it would stink to die here
Alone upon this door

I'm a-floating in the night
Fingers freezin' and I'm filled with fright
Wishin' you felt totally free
To place your hands on me

I wonder
I wah-wah-wah-wah wonder
Why
Why, why, why, why, why
He sank away

And I wonder
If he was gay
My little stowaway
My stow-stow-stow-stow stowaway



No comments: