Friday, September 6, 2019

I Obviously Don't Understand Heaven


In May of 1987, when The Cure's "Just Like Heaven" was released, and for the 19 weeks it was on the charts, I was nowhere near a Top 40 radio station.

And I'm pretty sure I couldn't be happier.

There are a couple things I just don't get about this song:
     1.   Why it's listed as the 483rd greatest song of all time when it never even got above 40 on the radio charts
     2.   What the farnsworth is it trying to say?



It starts out with some decidedly PG-13 quotes from the singer's girlfriend:


"Show me, show me, show me, how you do that trick
The one that makes me scream," she said
"The one that makes me laugh," she said
And threw her arms around my neck

But before the first verse is over, she's getting all accusatory and whiney: 

"Why are you so far away?" she said
"Why won't you ever know that I'm in love with you?
That I'm in love with you?"

Then things get all weird and poetic and I don't know if it's still the girlfriend talking or the singer:


You, soft and only
You, lost and lonely
You, strange as angels
Dancing in the deepest oceans
Twisting in the water
You're just like a dream
Just like a dream

Not only like a dream, but an actual dream, judging by the second verse:


Daylight licked me into shape
I must have been asleep for days
And moving lips to breathe her name
I opened up my eyes
And found myself alone
Alone
Alone above a raging sea
That stole the only girl I loved...

NOW I get it, he's singing about his dead girlfriend.


...And drowned her...

How sad!


...deep inside of me

Wait...what???


You, soft and only
You, lost and lonely
You, just like heaven

Soft...lost...lonely...HOW IS THAT JUST LIKE HEAVEN??!!?



No comments: