Friday, August 11, 2023

Observed Absurdities™ 62 - How Much Is a Slap on the Wrist Worth?

 

Beloved and I were shuffling through the security checkpoint line at the airport. (Not that we were preparing to deal cards to anyone, but it helped to pass the time.)

One of the informational signs posted along our journey caught my attention:

Why this amount?

I understand the need to financially punish anyone attempting to smuggle a firearm onto a commercial flight. They need to be taught a lesson about the delicate balance between public safety and the right to arm bears.

But I've got a question: Why $14, 950? Did the TSA think, "Well, the fine has to be substantial enough to sting, but $15,000 just seems a bit of an overreach, don't you think?"

As if Kohls can trick me into thinking a shirt that costs $29.95 is a buck cheaper than one that costs $30.


No comments: