Friday, July 21, 2023

Observed Absurdities™ 61 - Driving While Selfish

 

While exchanging empty trash bags for full ones as part of my part-time work at the gas station/convenience store/tobacco emporium called FastStop, I witnessed a prime example of man's inhumanity to man...perpetrated in the name of MeFirst/Gimme-Gimme/I-Me-Me-Mine.

The attached photo is roughly equivalent to the POV of the driver I will refer to as KingBufordTheFirst.


When KingBufordTheFirst was done putting gas in his car, he apparently saw the driver in the gold car (PopeInnocentTheSeventh) put his car in reverse, accompanied by the appropriate lighting of the aptly-named backup lights. I say it was apparent KingBufordTheFirst saw this because he promptly honked his car's horn to let PopeInnocentTheSeventh know that he was pulling out so His Eminence better just watch out.

The reason I label this an absurdity: PopeInnocentTheSeventh's backup lights were for the purpose of warning KingBufordTheFirst to watch out for the immediate backward movement of the gold car. Buford should have put his car in park and waited...instead of putting his foot on the gas and charging full speed ahead.

I find this particularly frustrating when I'm attempting to back out of a parking space and I'm flanked by other parked cars and can't see if anything is coming until I'm three-quarters of the way out into the lane. Cars driving down the row can obviously see my backup lights and my careful movement into the path of parking lot cruisers, but instead of braking and letting me safely get out of the parking spot, nine times out of ten, KingBuford or one of his kin will put the pedal to the metal to save the 10 seconds it would have taken for me to get out of their way.

*  *  *  *  *  *  *

And you're right: none of this is really funny at all.


No comments: