Friday, August 27, 2021

If You Won't Be With Me, You Won't Be With ANYbody: The 452nd Greatest Song of All Time

 

I've never heard anyone say a negative word about any of Sam Cooke's songs. And rightly so! The mixture of early 60's innocence and smooth, sweet vocals makes a crowd-pleasing combo.

But there's one song of his, "Cupid", that we really should take a closer look at.

On the surface, sure, it seems like a teenager secretly longing to be noticed by a girl he is smitten with:

Now, I don't mean to bother you
But I'm in distress
There's danger of me losing all of my happiness
For I love a girl who doesn't know I exist
And this you can fix

So, Cupid, draw back your bow
And let your arrow go
Straight to my lover's heart for me, nobody but me
Cupid, please hear my cry
And let your arrow fly
Straight to my lover's heart for me


This is clearly a case of homicidal stalking.


She's totally ignoring me
This will not go on
If this girl doesn't come around and admit
How she belongs to me, NOBODY but ME
I'mma hire a hitman
And make it look like a bow-hunting accident


Early 60's innocence, my foot.