Friday, November 13, 2020

Standing in the Shadows of the 464th Greatest Song of All Time


There are two things about "Standing in the Shadows of Love" as recorded by The Four Tops in 1966:

     1.  I only know one line of the song: the one that contains the title.
     2.  For all these years, I've thought the word "shadows" was "shadow", so now I know that I never really knew the one line of the song I thought I knew, you know?


And that's a shame, because if you're looking for a song to help you whine about your lack of certainty in the longevity of the love you see...this is it:

Standing in the shadows of love
I'm getting ready for the heartaches to come
Can't you see me standing in the shadows of love
I'm getting ready for the heartaches to come

All alone I'm destined to be
With misery my only company
It may come today, and it might come tomorrow
But it's for sure I ain't got nothing but sorrow

Yes indeed, the mid-sixties were the perfect time for bouncy, happy love songs. "Sunshine, lollipops, and rainbows..." ♫♪♫


No comments: