Friday, February 22, 2019

This Song You Keep Singing...I Do Not Think It Means What You Think It Means


Just because you really like a song and it makes you feel a certain way doesn't mean the song means what you think it means.

Know what I mean?


Case in point, "Running on Empty" by Jackson Browne. According to Rolling Stone, it's the 492nd greatest song of all time.

I would personally put it higher on the list (which would give it a lower number, if I'm not confusing you). I mean, I even wrote about this particular song in my inspirational blog, Truth Is.... (Honest! I really did. Click here to read it.)

Lyrics like "Gotta do what you can just to keep your love alive / Trying not to confuse it with what you do to survive" really make it seem like the song is an important coming-of-age artistic expression.

And then I go and read Rolling Stone's write-up:
The track was actually written when Browne was driving back and forth to the studio each day to make The Pretender. "I was always driving around with no gas in the car," he said. "I just never bothered to fill up the tank because -- how far was it anyway? Just a few blocks."

Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar.

No comments: