Friday, June 10, 2022

Thinking About John Cougar Mellencamp Makes Me Mad

 

According to Rolling Stone, "Pink Houses" is the 439th Greatest Song of All Time, and I don't know whether to brag about my personal connection to the song or explode in righteous fury.

Perhaps I should explain.

This song was inspired by an old man sitting on the porch of his pink shack and waving at John Cougar Mellencamp, who promptly waved back.

A simple beginning.

The recording of the song took place in a barn in Brownstown, Indiana just a few years before I moved there to serve as a youth minister. One day during my time there, Mellencamp attended the wedding of a family member of his at the church where I worked.

So much for the personal connection.

As for righteous fury...


A few years ago, Mellencamp performed at the Minnesota State Fair, and Beloved and I were in attendance. Also in attendance, and seated in the row behind us, was a slightly inebriated chap who apparently thought I paid several dollars per ticket to hear his running commentary on the quality of merchandise for sale at the fair and all the good times he used to have in high school.

I couldn't hear a word Mellencamp said from the stage, including when he sang "Pink Houses".

I have never before in my life been so motivated to hold a healing service in a public place by laying hands on a person.

Hard.

Fast.

Repeatedly.


No comments: