Friday, May 14, 2021

I'm a Winner!

 

For those not in the know, I have been "between contracts" since the end of July. Not to worry, though, as the combination of Beloved's job, my part-time hours at FastStop, unemployment payments, and eating nothing but saltines and peanut butter have gotten us through quite nicely.

Still, imagine my barely-contained excitement to receive a piece of first-class mail from Publisher's Clearing House declaring that I'm a winner!


I mean, Publisher's Clearing House, former home of Ed McMahon and creator of millionaires, sent a real, live, depositable check to little ol' me!

Finally, my years of clicking through list after list of kitchen gadgets, towels so soft you can't tell you're touching them, CD compilations of country music's most-loved classics, and magazines no one has ever heard of...finally...it's all paying off.

Imagine how my fingers were trembling to the point of ineffectiveness as I carefully tore open the envelope.

Imagine my breathless anticipation as I gripped the check between my forefinger and thumb and gently brought it to the light of day.

Imagine my shock and amazement as I read the printing on that precious piece of paper: "PAY TO THE ORDER OF MR DUANE ROTH...$5.00."

I spent 45 minutes fruitlessly searching the envelope for a bunch of missing zeros.


No comments: