Friday, May 29, 2020

If You're Desperate and You Know It Clap Your Hands


It's funny how a song's musical style and emotional feel sometimes have nothing whatsoever to do with its lyrical content.

When you listen to the 472nd greatest song of all time, "Where Did Our Love Go?" by the Supremes, you may be tempted to clap your hands or move your feet...it's that kind of a bouncy, obviously-1964ish  pop song.



It's also a sad, desperate tale of abandonment.


Baby, baby
Baby don't leave me
Ooh, please don't leave me
All by myself
I've got this burning, burning
Yearning feelin' inside me
Ooh, deep inside me
And it hurts so bad
You came into my heart (baby, baby)
So tenderly
With a burning love (baby, baby)
That stings like a bee (baby, baby)
(Ooh baby, baby)

STD?

Then again, maybe the constant overuse of the word baby isn't coincidental.


Now that I surrender (baby, baby)
So helplessly
You now wanna leave (baby, baby)
Ooh, you wanna leave me (baby, baby)
(Ooh baby, baby)

Men can be such jerks.


No comments: