Friday, February 21, 2020

There's Something About This That's Just Not Right


Every so often, our editors here at Almost the Truth like to take a look at what significant events have taken place on any given date.

Okay, that's not true.

There ARE no editors here at Almost the Truth. It's just me.

It's also not true because I don't necessarily LIKE doing historical research. It's just that...every so often...I have to scramble to create some kind of content and I've found that history can usually provide something worthy of skewering.

FOR EXAMPLE...

OnThisDay.com says that on February 21, 1173, Pope Alexander III canonized Thomas Becket, Archbishop of Canterbury. I read that and get an image in my head of a very Barnum-like Pope Alex III at a three-ring circus, firing Tom Becket out of a cannon.

And I think...that's probably not right.

February 21, 1937: Initial flight of the first successful flying car, Waldo Waterman's Arrowbile. Where did THAT name come from? Sounds like a poison Robin Hood would use.

That's probably not right, either.

On February 21, 1923, Andre Charlot's musical "Rats" premiered in London:
Memories
All alone in the crawlspace
Shoving cheese into my face
I prefer peanut butter


Definitely not right.

On this date in 1969, Ted Williams signed a 5-year contract to manage Washington Senators...and some jokes just write themselves.

No comments: