Friday, August 10, 2018

The Death of "No, Thank You"


Nobody says "No, thank you" anymore.

Okay, okay...that's an exaggeration for effect, but as my hours at FastStop increase, so does my awareness of the passing of simple civility and the exponential growth of declarative statements of self-worth.

Granted, in the routine at FastStop, there are a LOT of questions being asked:


  • "Did you have fuel outside?" (I personally NEVER ask "Did you have gas?" There are some things I'd just rather not know.)
  • "Would you like me to put these items in a bag?"
  • "Do you need a lighter or some matches to go along with your physically and fiscally irresponsible purchase of cigarettes?"


And the answer that I invariably receive for these inquiries?
"I'm good."

Well...glad to hear it, but that doesn't tell me whether you need a bag.

"Would you like your receipt?"
"I'm good."

Considering the fact that Jesus said only God is good (Mark 10:18), I kind of doubt that. Besides, DO YOU WANT YOUR RECEIPT OR DON'T YOU???


*  *  *  *  *  *  *
I often feel like giving folks a taste of their own medicine.

"Could you put that in a bag?"
"I'm good."

"I need to use your restroom."
"I'm good."

No comments: