Friday, September 27, 2013

Apparently, This Really Sucks


I was taken aback recently as I was scrolling through a "TV's Most Popular Items" webpage, courtesy of Publishers Clearinghouse and my relentless work at giving God an opportunity to test my ability to handle a financial windfall. In the midst of collections of Huge Hits from various musical genres and a hose that shrinks like a frightened turtle, there was an ad for a mini-marvel called, WaxVac.



While I'm not all that excited about the idea of sticking a vacuum cleaner in my ear, the possibility of sucking my brains out wasn't what threw me off balance. The source of my startle was the marketing phrase used as a headline for the ad: "Help Get Rid of Moisture and Debris"

DEBRIS?!!?


I took the risk of having my idea of what constituted "debris" smashed to pieces and looked the word up at Dictionary.com. The good news is, my understanding of the term was validated:

de-bris [duh-bree]
noun

1. the remains of anything broken down or destroyed; ruins; rubble: the debris of buildings after an air raid.

2. Geology.  an accumulation of loose fragments of rock.

Synonyms: detritus, litter, trash


*  *  *  *  *  *  *


The bad news is the thought of needing to suck any of that out of my ear! YIKES!

No comments: