Monday, May 12, 2008

I Got the Music in Me


Do you ever wake up in the morning with a song running through your brain? I mean really running...wearing commando boots and lifting its knees high. And it continues running all through your morning routine. It's called an earworm, and the only practical way to get it to stop running...or at least slow down to a comfortable walk...is to replace it with something else.

And the something else must be non-musical in nature. I've tried to replace my morning earworm with a different song, but I always end up going back to the original tune.

For instance, last Thursday I woke up with the theme to the cartoon Spider-man TV show from the---what...late 60's/early 70's?--continuously cycling through my head: "Spider-man, Spider-man, does whatever a spider can; spins a web any size; catches thieves just like flies. Look out! Here comes the Spider-man."



So, in an effort to switch stations, I started singing a different song to myself: "Well the south side of Chicago is the baddest part of town, and if you go down there you better just beware of a man named Leroy Brown. Is he strong? Listen bud, he's got radioactive blood. Can he swing from a web? Take a look---AUGH!"

Having been a disc jockey for a few years, and having grown up glued to a television, and having a lifetime of church singing under my belt, I've got an almost limitless supply of possible earworms filed away in my data banks. And let me tell you, Mr. Maestro Man, it is definitely random access memory. Why in the name of all that is right and good did I wake up this morning humming "rock the boat; don't rock the boat baby; rock the boat; don't tip the boat over"?

Blast! Now I'm also going to go to sleep singing the nasty thing to myself!


No comments: