Friday, September 11, 2026

Three Minutes of Tuneful Self-Importance: The 368th Greatest Song

 

Depeche Mode started out orthodox enough:

Reach out and touch faith
Your own personal Jesus
Someone to hear your prayers
Someone who cares
Your own personal Jesus
Someone to hear your prayers
Someone who's there

But it soon becomes clear the singer is encouraging the listener to consider the singer to be the listener's supernatural confidant:

Feeling unknown and you're all alone
Flesh and bone by the telephone
Lift up the receiver, I'll make you a believer
Take second best, put me to the test
Things on your chest you need to confess
I will deliver, you know I'm a forgiver

[image of singer]


I was going to continue with more lyrical analysis, but I just realized that I have already given you all the words in the song. Everything else is repeating what's already been sung.

So...

Not only is the singer manifesting a textbook case of Messiah Complex, but he is also making it clear his songwriting ability lacks...shall we say...depth.

Certainly length.

No comments: