Friday, April 5, 2019

Am I Blushing?


Contrary to popular myth, I do NOT know the words of every song released in the Seventies.

Evidence of this is the fact that I had no idea what song the following quatrain begins:


Gold coast slave ship bound for cotton fields
Sold in a market down in New Orleans
Scarred old slaver knows he's doing alright
Hear him whip the women just around midnight

Okay, to be honest, if I had been told ahead of time that this was from a song, the phrase "just around midnight" probably would have been enough to tip me off that this is the first verse of "Brown Sugar", a 1971 hit by The Rolling Stones.

Also in an effort toward complete honesty, if I had given one moment of thought about the Real Meaning of "how come you taste so good" and other too-explicit-for-this-blog lines, I would have been too embarrassed to have even listened to this song, let alone wail away with it...




Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! Wooo!

It may be the 490th greatest song of all time, but my mom would have tanned my hide if she knew I liked it...liked the song, not having my hide tanned.

No comments: