Friday, July 13, 2018

10 Albums...Well...5


It wasn't as popular as the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge, but it was a whole lot less likely to cause a heart attack.

I'm talking about the "10 Albums" phenomenon that swept  -  make that quietly seeped  - through FacePlace and other antisocial media platforms a couple months ago. It went like this: "10 albums in no particular order. Albums that have made an impact and are still on your rotation list. Post the cover, no need to explain, and nominate a person each day."

I've grown tired of waiting for someone to nominate me (and also a little depressed that no one has), so herewith is the first half of my ten.


And while there may be no NEED to explain, this isn't an artsy-fartsy photoblog, you know...

SONGS O' SAD LAUGHTER

I've included this one first because I wanted to make sure it didn't get crowded out by anything else. Eric is the Musical Director of, and a performer in, the Dakota Chautauqua and I am blessed to call him a friend.  I am also blessed that he gave me this album of his several years ago. Don't Miss: "Chickens"; "La Bella Luna"


JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR
TIM RICE & ANDREW LLOYD WEBBER

One of my four free albums from when I joined the Record Club of America in the early 1970s, I would sing this in my head to help me get through a boring shift at McDonald's. Personal Favorite: "Gethsemane


GODSPELL
ORIGINAL CAST

Closely associated with JCS because of content and release dates, these songs stick a lot closer to Scripture and my heart. A 1978 production of this musical in Fort Wayne, Indiana, is where Beloved and I met. Fun Fact: My solo was "We Beseech Thee," which got cut from the movie version. #NotFair


SGT PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND
THE BEATLES

It's practically a cliche to include this album on a list like this, but cliches are cliches because they are so often so true. Pet Peeve: After decades of telling everyone that "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" referred to a drawing by Julian Lennon, Paul McCartney, in the documentary epic Anthology, just off-handedly and with no sense of it being Breaking News says "of course that was about LSD."


SMELL THE COLOR 9
CHRIS RICE

There's a boatload of great songs on this album, and that's certainly swell, but seriously...just the cleverness of the title song is enough to make me ignore the strangeness of the cover. Chris Rice Gets Extra Points: He used to be a youth pastor. He's my kind-o-people.


-  -  But Wait! There's More!  -  -

Tune in next week for the other five of my top ten.


No comments: