Thursday, February 2, 2012

Hello, Earworm, my old friend


This quarter's round-up of insidious melodies...

NOVEMBER
1 – Little Girl (The Beatles) J, P, G, & R at their most homicidal: “I’d rather see you dead little girl than to catch you with another man…You better run for your life if you can, little girl. Hide your head in the sand, little girl. Catch you with another man? That’s the end-duh, little girl.”
4 – Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas (Judy Garland) My, my, my…The Season certainly started early this year.
5 – Lay Down Sally (Eric Clapton)
16 – Bad Time to Be in Love (Grand Funk Railroad)
28 – Crocodile Rock (Sir Elton John)
DECEMBER
1 – Hey, Soul Sister (Train)
2 – Midnight Blue (Melissa Manchester) Behold, one of the few times I could actually identify how the morning’s earworm “was planted in my brain.” I heard this classic on the radio during my morning commute yesterday.
3 – It’s Not Easy Being Green (Jim Henson as Kermit) One of the most poignant performances, puppet or personal, of all time. (For the first-ever performance on Sesame Street, go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIOiwg2iHio&feature=fvsr)
8 – You Make My Dreams Come True (Haulin’ Oats)
15 – Best of My Love (The Emotions) This is the 1977 disco-ish song, not the 1975 tune by the Eagles…which should give you a clue as to how irritated I’ve been since it popped into my head at 4:30 this morning!
16 – 1, 2, 3 (Len Barry) “It’s easy. (It’s so easy.) Like takin’ candy from a BAYbeeeeee…”
17 – Let’s Get It On (Marvin Gaye)
21 – I Want You to Want Me/All You Need is Love (Cheap Trick/Beatles) My marvelous morning mental mash-up
22 – Theme from “Three’s Company” (Yes, my subconscious is just that annoying.)
26 – Making Room (This is a worship song written by Dave Burkum and Jonathan Miller, two pastors at my church [www.valleycc.org] specifically for this Christmas season.
29 – What a Fool Believes/I’ve Grown Accustomed to Her Face (Doobie Brothers/from My Fair Lady) And if you don’t think this made my morning bowl of Cheerios® a strange experience…
JANUARY
1 – I Can Help (Billy Swan) “If your child needs a daddy…”
5 – Have You Never Been Mellow? (Olivia Neutron Bomb)
11 – Don’t You Worry ‘Bout a Thing (Stevie Wonder)
19 – (Last Night) I Didn’t Get to Sleep at All (The 5th Dimension) While I wasn’t all that happy about having this swimming laps in my head all morning, I was glad to be able to say it wasn’t true.
21 – Every Woman in the World (Air Supply)
25 – In the Mood (Glenn Miller) And that’s all I’m going to say about that.
27 – Running on Empty (Jackson Browne) It’s not a good sign when this is the first thing in your head in the morning.
28 – All Night Long (Lionel Ritchie)
30 – Your Name (Phillips, Craig and Dean)

No comments: