Friday, April 27, 2018

My Barista Knows Bupkes About History


Caribou Coffee owes me ten cents.

I don't know about the overpriced, oh-so-precious coffee emporium you frequent, but here in the Bold North, Caribou Coffee locations post a daily trivia question that, if you answer correctly, gets you ten cents off your overpriced, oh-so-precious coffee. The question they were asking the last time I went in for my Hot Apple Blast ended up raising my hackles:


"How many U.S. presidents signed the Declaration of Independence?"


If you're like me, well, first off, you should enlist a team of prayer warriors to lift you up before The Throne. But secondly, if you're like me, your first thought at reading that question is "Zero. There were no U.S. presidents in existence to be able to sign the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776."

The thing is, zero was not one of the choices for this multiple choice question.

When I explained this deficiency in the question to my barista, she first expressed confusion and then assured me the answer was two: Thomas Jefferson and John Adams.

When I informed her that they were not U.S. presidents at the time of the signing of the Declaration of Independence, she said, "Well, the question doesn't say they had to actually be president when they signed it."

I gave up, forced a laugh, picked up my drink, walked to my car, shook my head, and thought, "With that logic, they could have asked 'How many dead people signed the Declaration of Independence?' and the answer would be 'All of them'."

It's a good thing I'm not a stickler for things like this.

Really...I'm not.


No comments: