Friday, May 5, 2017

Almost 24/7


Today: A mini rant and a curiosity.

First of all, it activates my CDO (which is similar to OCD, but IN THE CORRECT ORDER) whenever I hear or see someone or some business referring to the unending nature of something (for example, "I hear this buzzing in my ear..." or "we are open...") as being "24/7/365".

It's not that I don't understand what they're saying. I get it. "24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year." Fine. Understood. It's just that it's at least overkill and at most a frustrating bait and switch.

"24 hours a day" is all that's really needed. I mean, that really does cover it, doesn't it? Is there any additional time slot that is outside that parameter? "We're open 24 hours a day. Oh! And by the way, we are ALSO open on Saturdays...well...I guess that's part of 24 hours a day, isn't it...uh...hmmmm."

But the other thing that grinds my gears is how the 3-part expression sets up a progression that it fails to deliver on.

24 hours a day...7 days a week...the next phrase ought to be "52 weeks a year", oughtn't it?

Augh! It's like a gnat flying around just outside my peripheral vision, taunting me.


Second of all, and slightly related, I drove by a billboard recently that just made me wonder a bit.

It was a sign outside a large truck stop that also offered repair work for the big eighteen-wheelers. They were bragging about the availability of their mechanics by saying "We have techs on site 24/7...Monday-Friday.

Uhhhh...wouldn't that be 24/5, then?

No comments: