Friday, April 28, 2017

#NoFilter at FastStop


Have I mentioned before that I stopped working part-time at Jesus Inc. and started getting paid three more dollars an hour at my local FastStop convenience store/gas station/cigarette emporium?

With my current full-time employment, I wouldn't have to keep working part-time, but in an effort to pay off some credit card debt that built up slightly during The Year Of Unemployment, I keep plugging away a few hours a week. Besides, it can be a source of frivolity worthy of posting for your amusement.

For example...

Things were fairly busy the last time I was working the register. A woman walked up and asked, "Are you available?"

My immediate response, of course, was, "I'm very flattered, but no. I am happily married."

Laughter ensued. Numbers were exchanged...just in case things went south.


A second incident of the marriage of my quick tongue and lack of a filter could have resulted in a harassment lawsuit, but luckily, my female coworker recognizes humor and stupidity when she sees it.

Here's what I'm talking about...

FastStop is on the cusp of its biannual inspection, so last week we were all pitching in to do a deep cleaning of every nook and cranny of the store. My female coworker had just finished wiping down a metal mesh candy-holding display shelf and was hanging it back on the wall next to my register.

Without forethought or evil intent, my mouth opened and out came two simple words: "Nice rack."

I'm so glad that instead of slapping me, she laughed and said, "Thank you!"


No comments: