Friday, July 10, 2015

Indiana Home and the Possessed Grandson


Beloved and I took a quick trip to Hoosierland recently so I could visit my mom, SweaterGal. I hadn't been back home since FlatulenceKing passed away, and it was just a good idea to get away from The Job Search and spend time with her for a few days.

It's funny what can happen to good ideas.

We thought it would be a good idea to take our two grandsons, SkittleKid and MrSquishy, with us...along with their mother, AngelFace, of course. You know...let great-grandma see the little bruisers and get reacquainted with the joys of sibling rivalry.

Have I mentioned that, on a good day, it's a ten-hour drive to the Indiana homestead?

Add to that normal drive time emergency rest stops ("I have to go NOW! I can't wait! Ican'twaitIcan'twaitIcan'twait!!!"), leg stretching ("Get...me...OUT of this seat! Arrrrrrr! Uhhhhhhh! I...can't...stand...UP!!!"), and the Clean Air Act-required disposal of well-filled diapers, and the trip took more like three days.

Which left us four hours to swelter in the 86-degree norm that spells comfort for SweaterGal in her very own home.

There was a brief respite though, when AngelFace treated me to a belated Father's Day gift of a side trip to Skyline Chili. It was an extra 140-mile round-trip for her, SkittleKid, and me, but being able to introduce my first grandson to his first taste of Cincinnati-style chili was worth it.



Besides, it made the trip back to Minnesota so much nicer. SkittleKid just sat in his car seat, rubbing his tummy and licking his smiling lips as he savored the memory of the best cheese coney God ever brought into being.

"Let's do that AGAIN!"

No comments: