Friday, June 29, 2012

Do These Three Words Really Go Together?


Depending on your age and level of immersion into ancient popular culture, you may or may not know anything about Allan Sherman. He was to semi-classical music and The American Songbook what Weird Al Yankovic is to rock-n-roll. If you've heard anything at all from him, it most probably is his song that reached Number 2 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in the summer of 1963, "Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah." For the uninitiated, or just for fun, here's a video:


My parents, FlatulenceKing and SweaterGal, had two Allan Sherman records in the family LP collection...which may account for more than half of my warped sense of humor. I count it as a cause for pride that I can still sing "The Drinking Man's Diet" from memory.

One song of Mr. Sherman's was a parody of "Chim Chim Cheree" and included a reference to an advertising campaign for the laundry detergent, Cheer: "What does that blue magic whitener do? Does it make blue things white, or make white things blue?"

I was reminded of that particular lyric from that particular song by that particular artist because of three particular words that jumped out at me from one of those "interesting" catalogs I've been getting lately:

Electric Bikini Trimmer

I'm not really sure how those three words are supposed to relate to each other.

Is this an electric trimmer for bikinis, or are there electric bikinis out there that need to be trimmed?


No comments: