Friday, June 22, 2018

The 500th Greatest Song of All Time


On December 9, 2004, Rolling Stone magazine published its list of "The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time".

Wow.

Were they receiving too many complimentary letters to the editor? Because...you know...a subjective list like this was bound to bring out everyone else's opinions to the contrary. Or maybe they were just desperate to come up with some content to fill the seven pages between all the ad copy they publish.



Why do I bring this up now? Well, two reasons:

1.  I just happened to discover the existence of this list while I was looking up something else. (I didn't know about it at the time, not being a subscriber to Rolling Stone.)

2.  I'm desperate to come up with some content.

I feel a little sorry for Number 500 on the list: "More Than a Feeling", by Boston. Sure, you're one of the greatest songs of all time, but you're at the very bottom of the list. If there were only 100 songs on the list, that would be fine, but they stretched this thing out to five hundred farnsworthing songs and you just BARELY got included!

Fun Fact: "More Than a Feeling" is actually a science fiction short story. Consider the first verse...

I looked out this morning and the sun was gone [Immediately sets this up in a post-apocalyptic landscape]
Turned on some music to start my day [Apparently, the writer's synthetic weather app responds to audio input.]
I lost myself in a familiar song [Accidental uploading of his digital essence]
I closed my eyes and I slipped away [Visual interface shut down, resulting in a random dispersion]

No wonder Marianne walked away. The guy's a geek.


No comments: