Friday, January 4, 2019

Santa Priest


I know we're not in The Most Wonderful Time of the Year anymore, but I couldn't wait until December to tell this story.

This past December, I had my first experience of playing Santa. It was at a smallish real estate firm that was having a Christmas open house for their employees and clients. They offered free pictures with Santa (yours truly) and ornament making and coloring and cocoa and a snowblower giveaway and I had an absolutely fantabulous time.


Semi-interesting side note: The word "fantabulous" first appeared in print during the year of my birth. And by the way, I don't put a lot of stock in coincidence.

Different children have different reactions to seeing Santa up close and personal.

Some are in awe.

Some are in tears.

Some are shy.

Some are smitten.

And some consider it an almost religious experience, apparently. Case in point, the little gal pictured above planting a big one on my cheek. She came running up to me, gave me that kiss, settled into my lap, and got her official picture taken.

I then asked her if she had a special Christmas wish. She pulled her head down into her shoulders, leaned in close to me and practically whispered, "Sometimes, at school...(looking up into my eyes)...I pick my boogies."

I think she thought she was at her first confessional or something. And she wasn't done.

"And sometimes, even eat them!"

I told her to recite two Jingle Bells and leave me an extra plate of cookies.


*  *  *  *  *  *  *

Extra treat: my favorite picture of the morning...




No comments: