Friday, October 5, 2018

The 497th Greatest Song of All Time: Mixed Metaphor


I had to look up this entry in the list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time. It was released in August of 1994, putting it WAY past my last pop album purchase: The Stranger, by Billy Joel (1981).

I'm glad I took the trouble though because it's got a nice beat and is easy to dance to...and the video they made is mega-clever.



When in doubt about how to get your song noticed, just drop in some pop culture references and make a video based on a twenty-year-old television sitcom based on stereotypes from twenty years before that.

However...

While recreating Happy Days makes sense because of the song's chorus about Buddy Holly and Mary Tyler Moore, it gets kinda stuh-range with verse lyrics like this:


What's with these homies, dissing my girl?
Why do they gotta front?

Are we sure this song isn't really by Run DMC?

In addition, I'm pretty confident they're singing about Rocky Balboa here:


Your tongue is twisted, your eyes are slit


And for the record, I know Weezer is probably referencing some movie or TV show or SOMEthing here, but I'm out of the loop:


Bang, bang a knock on the door
Another big bang and you're down on the floor
Oh no! What do we do?
Don't look now but I lost my shoe
I can't run and I can't kick
What's the matter babe are you feeling sick?

Quick! Go back to the fun-loving chorus!


Oo-ee-oo I look just like Buddy Holly
Oh-oh, and you're Mary Tyler Moore
I don't care what they say about us anyway
I don't care 'bout that
I don't care 'bout that
I don't care 'bout that
I don't care 'bout that

I get it. I Get It! I GET IT!

No comments: