Friday, March 28, 2014

In the Closet No More


I've finally decided it's time to talk about something I've been keeping to myself for...well...my whole life, I guess.

This blog is usually reserved for the lighthearted and looney ramblings that slosh over the edge of my far-too-small brain, but recent revelations by prominent sports figures and entertainment icons and even some folks near and dear to me have given me the courage and motivation to finally admit to the world what I've known in my heart for so very long.

I am a heterosexual.


My first clue as to my orientation happened when I was only seven years old. I was completely and utterly enamored with my second-grade teacher, Mrs. Hunter. Of course, I never acted on my straight leanings until much later, but I knew then that I was just innately drawn to members of the opposite sex.

All through my elementary and even junior high years, I often wondered if anyone else felt the same way I did.

While always a "performer" unafraid of the spotlight, I was actually quite shy in personal situations. I never got the nerve to initiate a kiss with a girl until halfway through my freshman year of high school. Even after that first confirmation that I was not alone...that there really were other straight people at my school...my interactions with females were always furtive, experimental, and tinged with feelings of guilt and shame.

But now? Now it's all different. The world has changed. MY world has changed...and I'm finally ready to embrace the real me with no apologies to those who automatically fear and reject people who are different from them. I figure that's THEIR problem and it's time for me to stop letting what other people think influence what I know to be true about myself.

I'm straight and I'm proud...might even start an annual parade about it. 
 

No comments: